Thursday, July 14, 2005

Sweet Dreams from the Dream King

I know.... this post is late...



Happy. I was thinking of what to write for this blog ever since my Marvel 1602 and Sandman: Endless Nights was signed by Neil Gaiman but I could only come up with one word: Happy. But I’ll try a bit harder…

When it was my turn I told him his books and graphic novels helped me cope with my work as a social worker. They saved me from possible breakdowns due to stress. He smiled and told me it was great for a writer to hear that and he said he wished me “sweet dreams.” And that’s what he wrote in his dedication on my Marvel 1602.

Neil was amazed at the “mad enthusiasm” of Pinoys. The crowd of course shouted louder and became as rowdy as geeks could be. Yes, Pinoys who read Gaiman are madly enthusiastic about him being here – we hung on to his every word; took pictures from all angles; laughed at his jokes (which were funny, mind you) – because we couldn’t believe that HE WAS HERE! In the midst of economic problems and political upheavals HE IS THERE RIGHT IN FRONT OF US! Have you ever heard of a multi-awarded author visiting the Philippines for a book-signing event? NO! It’s so unbelievable that we might as well be trapped in one of the realms in the Dreaming. But I wouldn’t mind …. This is a sweet dream.

*****
Also an added bonus during the Gathering - while Neil was signing, music was blaring on the speakers. Suddenly the Magnetic Fields were on - if memory serves me right - it was "When you were my baby" from the Wayward Bus/Distant Plastic Trees CD. Thor told me Neil listens to the Magnetic Fields so that organizers must have done their research. I love this album - it's so sad and full of drama but so low fi that in a way it was funny - like in Candy, Merrit wrote "I'll just go away somewhere and slowly loose my mind." Hehe!

No comments: